2020 League of Women Voters of Grand Traverse Area--County Commission Candidate Forum
The League of Women Voters is holding forums for all of the contested State and County races on the ballot. The forum for Grand Traverse County Commission was held on Monday, October 5th, and was streamed live on Facebook and Traverse Area Community Media. The LWV forum was much more extensive than the Traverse Connect Forum and no questions were known by the candidates in advance. That said, I was prepared for all of them, as I attended almost all of the Commission meetings for the last two years. The forum was moderated by Jeanine Easterday, Past President of LWVGTA. Questions were submitted by voters through the LWVGTA web site and selected by the LWVGTA. The questions were much more diverse than the questions for the Traverse Connect Forum
Questions and Time Offsets in the Video
The LWV rules prohibit creating excerpts from the forum, so I will call you attention to the approximate time offsets of the questions, which I've abbreviated as topics.There are clear differences.
- 3:00–Opening statements.
- 8:15‐Tell us about the geographic area and characteristics of your district.
- 13:10–What are your top three priorities? Our answers on this are a clear difference.
- 18:20–Senior Center.
- 23:20–Ethics Policy
- 28:15–Jail Oversight
- 33:07–Do you support a resolution promoting racial equality...? Our answers to this question are a clear difference
- 38:20–Bridge over Boardman River. Our answers on this are a clear difference.
- 43:35–Do you believe in the science of climate change? Our answers are a clear difference.
- 48:40–Broadband access. Our answers are a clear difference.
- 53:40–Collaborative working relationship between County Commissioners. This is a clear difference.
- 58:36–Prayer and time of meeting. This is a clear difference.
- 1:03:43–Line 5 Tunnel and Gun Sanctuary County Resolutions. This is a clear difference.
- 1:09:40–County role in water quality. This is a clear difference.
- 1:15:25–MERS Pension Debt.
- 1:20:50–Planning Department. This is a clear difference.
- 1:25:50–Closing statements.
- Candidate, District 3–Melissa Hogan
- Candidate, District 4–Brace Kern
- Candidate, District 6–Bruce Moore
- Candidate, District 6–Darryl V. Nelson